For the second year, the LOHAS Forum co-hosts the Impact Investing Collaboratory. This event takes the idea of a venture fair, and turns it inside out, flattening the hierarchy, and creating a mutual learning session for all participants. Will some ventures meet some investors? You bet. But more importantly, we all get to understand the field, the practice and the paradox of impact investing much better, as we all learn from one another.
What is it?
A day-long conference that provides a unique venue to learn about impact investing from the people who are actually raising and making investments, in the LOHAS field, in Colorado, and around the country. See agenda here.
Who should attend?
- Experienced impact investors who want to share their experiences, learn best practices and find syndication partners.
- Prospective investors who want to learn about the basics of how to make impact investments, including diligence and deal structure.
- Impact entrepreneurs who want to better understand the impact capital fundraising process.
- Experts and professionals with a curiosity to understand this quickly emerging market.
What will happen?
Participants will meet, learn, inquire, share, connect and expand their understanding. The format is highly interactive and intimate, because everyone teaches and learns. You won’t find a more informative, useful and honest exchange of ideas and experiences at another event. The spirit of the Boulder community shines through this event, where partners and competitors alike put aside their own narrow business concerns to authentically share best practices and move everyone’s work forward.
Who is participating?
Currently, we’ve got a stunning line-up of panelists and discussion leaders, many of whom are the leading experts in their field. Our speaker recruiting continues, and we’ll keep announcing new speakers as the event approaches.
- Bill Shutkin, President, Presidio School of Graduate Management
- Kimbal Musk, Board Director, The Kitchen, Tesla, SpaceX
- Greg Berry, Managing Director, Impact Hub Boulder
- Rich Hoops, Board Member, Impact Hub Boulder, SVP Boulder County, Center for Education in Social Responsibility, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado
- Zenia Tata, Serial Social Entrepreneur
- Steve Schueth, President, First Affirmative Network
- Kathy Leonard, Vice President, Investments, UBS
- Al Doerksen, CEO, iDE
- George Deriso, Director, Toniic Network
- Ian Fisk, Executive Director, William James Foundation
- Elizabeth Kraus, local investor
- Gregg Bagni, Managing Director, White Road Investments
- Evan Steiner, Director, HUB Ventures
- Gerritt McGowan, CEO, KULA Causes
What are the sessions?
We will provide a range of discussion formats and topics to help grow the collective intelligence in the community, and facilitate new connections among members. Topics will include:
- Interview of Kimbal Musk; learn how this world-leading entrepreneur thinks about innovation, product design and impact.
- The Exit; how do we satisfy investors and maintain impact, and what does that mean for fundraising strategy?
- Longevity; what does it take to make a career in the impact field?
- Due Diligence Workshop; investors learn from each other about how to properly vet a company, balancing impact and return.
- Pitch Workshop; how do you tell the story of your company’s impact? Learn from people who have successfully raise impact capital.
- Lunch Table Topics will cover a variety of issues that interest and concern participants, from crowdfunding to slow money, and from shareholder advocacy to the Jobs bill.
- Plus, unrivaled networking and one-on-one connections you can’t find in day-to-day meetings.
- See latest, full agenda here.
When and Where?
June 12th, from 9:30 – 5:30, at the Rembrant Center in downtown Boulder. The formal Collaboratory program is followed by the Opening Evening of the LOHAS Forum, including a fascinating plenary program, as well as excellent opening reception.
$225, which includes the day, plus lunch, and the opening evening of the LOHAS Forum. Impact Hub Boulder Members and LOHAS Forum attendees pay $150 (HUB Members contact Emily Higgins — emily [[at]] hubboulder [[dot]] com to get your discount code, or find it in the upcoming Members Newsletter).
Where Do I Sign Up?
At the LOHAS conference registration page. Choose “Impact Investing Collaboratory” in the list, and complete the registration.
What If I Want To Attend The Whole LOHAS Forum?
We think that’s a GREAT idea! You can read about it here, and register at the site.